Clean and cook it with little salt and keep it aside. Just Vazhakka also tasted awesome. 2. very well done. For the dal, I have used Cow Peas (Van payar/Thatta payar). - Rub some oil on hands to remove the stain while cutting banana. Mathanga Erushery മത്തങ്ങ എരിà´¶്à´¶േà´°ി (Pumpkin & red... Vellarikka moru curry ( Cucumber & curd curry)-à´µെà´³്ളരിക്ക à´®ോà´°് കറി, White Kadala Curry (Chana / white chickpeas curry), Kappa Biriyani / Ellum Kappayum ( Tapiocca & meat). Wat a beautiful dish, sounds truly new for me..thanks for sharing this thoran.. never has this before…but id like 2 try it if i get hold of the vazha koombu…, Wonderful dishes and eye catching presentation…thats yummyoyummy . Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. I cook, serve, and eat with almost the same passion. Best combination. Meanwhile crush the grated coconut with green chillies and garlic. thanks Varsha :), vanpayar am referring to is small size kidney shaped in red colour. Garlic is not mentioned in the ingredients, but its written inthe grinding mix. This looks very authentic but new dish to me..Must be very delicious!! Pindi thoran or Vazhapindi thoran.Thoran is the easiest side dish for rice. Cover the coconut mixture with vazhakka and cover and cook for 5-7 mins on low flame. You can just make it with 1/2 cup instead of the 1.5 cups that I have used. A gourmet dictionary of over 1,300 simple recipes ranging from breakfast, kids recipes, vegan, non-vegetarian to Kerala dishes to make cooking fun. Vazhakka Thoran is a must during Sadhyas and is a popular vegetarian side dish that goes well with hot rice. ... - Green gram or Brown peas (Vanpayar) can be used for Vazhaykka Thoran. https://www.sharmispassions.com/pumpkin-eriserry-recipe-kerala-mathanga Spinach and Black Eyed Peas Thoran, commonly known as Cheera Vanpayar Thoran is a side dish prepared in Kerala to be served with rice and curry. Now add the chopped sprout, crushed garlic and curry leaves. Cover and cook for a few minutes. Cover and cook till the sprouts become soft, at low heat. Remove 3-4 outer layers […] This step is done to prevent the bitterness which comes from certain varieties of kodappen. Wow… Looks so good. Immediately add vendakka /okra and mix well.Cook over medium low flame for 2 to 3 minutes.Now add salt to taste.Sprinkle some water ,cover and cook until it is done. This looks very authentic but new dish to me..Must be very delicious, and Picture is also good!! When the pieces turn soft, uncover and keep on fire till the water evaporates completely. When the pressure releases or after 15 minutes, drain the water completely and set aside. Healthy side dish dear…Looks very temptingThx. Your email address will not be published. Wash it with water and keep it immersed in water until it take for cooking. The combination of beans and greens not only makes it nutritious but also improves the taste and texture of the dish. Cook vanpayar in cooker with salt and water for 10 minutes (3 vistles) and keep it aside. Method. 3. Cook vanpayar ( Red cowpeas) in cooker with enough water and salt for 10 min or wait for 3-4 whistles from pressure cooker. Remove 3-4 outer layers of the banana bud and chop it really fine into a vessel with water, salt, oil and turmeric powder. All Rights Reserved. Bananas are widely used in South Indian cuisine. Ingredients Vazhapindi/banana stem-1 medium piece Vanpayar/cow beans-1cup Shallots-15 Crushed red chilli-1 1/4tsp or dry chilli-2 to3 Curry leaves-2strings Grated coconut-handful Salt- to taste Water-one cup Coconut oil-2tbsp Method Soak vanapayar for 3-4 hours .. After that pressure cook and keep aside..(4-5 whitsle) Slice pindi in medium size pieces.. Ingredients Banana Bud/Vazha kooombu – 1 large Red Chori/van payar Cooked – 1.5 cup Grated Coconut – 3/4 cup Green chillies – 2-3 Garlic – 2 Curry leaves – 1-2 sprig Mustard – 1/2 tsp Dry red chillies – 1-2 Salt – To taste Oil – As required Method 1. Moru curry + Kerala Style Fish in coconut … Cook banana in a pan with pinch of turmeric powder, salt, curry leaf and enough water to immerse it. Click on "Watch later" to put videos here. thanks veena and puzhukku is a good name for this i guess :) n hope you like this with pepper. Green Beans Carrot Stir-fry (Thoran) Cabbage Vepudu (Stir-fry) Celery Moong Stir-fry (Celery Cherupayar Thoran) Cauliflower Korma (Gobi Kurma) Vazhakka Vanpayar Curry (Raw Banana Red Chori Curry) Celery Carrot Stir-fry (Thoran) January (21) … Like the plantain tree picture, pleasing one. To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site" Best regards, petitchef.com. This recipe is a Kerala style dry curry / … Delicious recipe…quite diff’ from my version, wanna try for sure. Completely a new recipe and very nutritious…Loved your neat n perfect presentation dear. Pour it into the cooked vegetable and combine well. Strain the water before cooking. Instructions. Thats wonderful healthy one… I love this kind of curry always…, delicious one..one of our favorite thoran ..really the combination is superb..nice photos yarr..yummy yummy food too. Recipes include South Indian, Punjabi and more Remove the fibbers using finger (just wipe each piece with fingers ) In a bowl take water along with salt .. Oh, and I have used loads of dal in this (more than traditionally used). Grind together coconut, shallots, chilly, cumin seeds and turmeric pdr. (Make sure you stir it every 2 to 3 minutes to avoid burning.) Largest collection of healthy Indian veg recipes and non-veg food - breakfast, snacks, soup, dessert and dinner. for sharing , I have never eaten this one, but seems your dish is a perfect one to start with…easy and yum. Switch off. Vazhakka Thoran is a delicious raw banana stir fry prepared in a traditional style. Cook the red chori/ vanpayar with salt and 1/4 tsp turmeric powder in a pressure cooker till it is done. Vanpayar Thoran A tasty side dish with rice / kanji !! Grind together grated coconut, shallots, garlic , green chilli & turmeric powder, Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard seeds, add curry leaf, chopped shallots and saute well. i.e., without green gram. Add dry red chillies and brown them. When the banana bud is  cooked well, add the cooked vanpayar, crushed coconut mixture , curry leaves and mix well. Vazhakka Thoran is nutritious, rich in vital nutrients required … 1. Splutter the mustard seeds and brown the dry red chillies. Mash it with a wooden spoon and keep it aside. Serves: 2 Ingredients For coconut mixture (thenga thirummiyathu): 3 tablespoon (45 – 50 g) grated coconut 6 garlic cloves, chopped and crushed ½ teaspoon red chilli powder ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder Mix all the ingredients well and keep aside (Do not mix with water). Drain and rinse soaked dried beans. Heat coconut oil in a pan, add crushed shallots/small onion and saute for couple of minutes, when they turns to light pink in color, add crushed red chilli flakes and curry leaves and saute for a minute. Place grated coconut, garlic, and green chilies (if using) in the … VanPayar Thoran (Red Cow Peas with Coconut) VanPayar Thoran/ Red Cow Peas with Coconut is a great side dish for rice in Kerala. If the mixture is sticking to the pan, add some hot water and mix well. If you want a slightly mashed up mezhukkupuratti, you can overcook the vanpayar. 2. Drain off water and keep it aside. Now the delicious thoran is ready to serve. Wife, Mother, Blogger and above all, an ardent lover of good food. When the pieces turn soft, uncover and keep on low fire till the water evaporates completely. In a deep pan, heat some oil and splutter the mustards. Discover a virtual world of cooking with stepwise pictures. Your email address will not be published. It is a very popular and common dish in all households in Kerala. You can also use the white one popularly known as Black eyed peas. Lovely dish dear….loved the snap of the bloomed banana tree….thanks for sharing the lovely dish…. 1. Cover and cook for a few minutes. One of my favorites..But we do not get it in our place..Great dish I have never used any dal in it..Lovely pic too.. Lovely combo…I add cherupayar sometimes vazhakkula photo kidilan . Rich in proteins and vitamins.Nice click too dears. Ingredients For Kappa Base Kappa ( Tapioca) – 1kg Turmeric powder-1/4 tea spoon Grated coconut-1 Cup Shallo... Red Spinach ( Chuvanna Cheera) Ingradients Cheera ( Spinach red) - 1bunch Shallots ( Small onion) - 5 Nos: Garlic- 2 pods Green Chilli- 3... Ingadients Green gram - 2 cup Grated coconut- 1 cup Shallots - 5 Garlic-1 pod Green chilli- 3 Dried red chillie- 1 Turmeric powder- 1/4 ... Ingradients Beef - 1kg ( sliced in to square pieces) Shallots- 6 Nos ( Sliced) Garlic- 4 pods ( Sliced in to thin long pieces) Ginger- 1/... Ingradients Biriyani rice/ Basmathi rice - 2 cup Carrot- 2 Nos Beans- 12 Nos Onion- 3 Nos Spring Onion- 3-4 leaf Nuts- 100 gm Raisin / Dr... Mustard seeds, curry leaf, dry red chilly & coconut oil, Peel of banana skin and cut it into square pieces. Heat it well and season it with mustard seeds, sliced shallots, curry leaves, dry chilly and grated coconut. When the banana bud is cooked well, add the cooked vanpayar, crushed coconut mixture , curry leaves and mix well. Wow very tasty looking dish…looks so good . 2) Heat oil in a pan at medium heat. Garlic is adding for a slight flavor only. Strain and keep aside. 3. Soak the red gram dal for 1/2 to 1 hour. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. 2. - Vazhaykka Thoran can be made without Cherupayar too. Cherupayar vazhakka thoran is a simple whole green gram stir fry with raw banana and coconut. Now add in the finely chopped banana bud(after squeezing out the water) and cook covered, at low heat. Set aside. Thanks for your comment. Vazhakka Thoran is unique and tasty with cooked raw banana cubes blended with a coconut mixture and seasoned with curry leaves. Soak vanapayar for 3-4 hours .. After that pressure cook and keep aside..(4-5 whitsle) Slice pindi in medium size pieces.. Vanpayar thoran Ingredients: Vanpayar (Red lobia) - 1 cup Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp Green chillies - 2 Salt to taste Dry red chillies - 2 Shallots - 3 to 4, sliced Garlic - 2 or 3 cloves, crushed Curry leaves - a sprig Grated coconut - 1/4 to 1/2 cup Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp If u like garlic flavor add it, but without garlic also its yummy. Cook the banana flower pieces in water and salt for about 5 – 8 minutes or till the pieces are cooked. Add this to the banana vanpayar mix. VanPayar or CheruPayar are like our staple food and there are a variety of ways to cook these protein rich food. Peel the banana and cut into small square pieces. Achinga / Valli Payar/ Odiyan Payar/ Neelan Payar – All these are the different names of Long beans in Kerala. When soaked, beans will double in size and cooks really quickly. Cook pumpkin and vanpayar seperately with little salt. Heat some oil in a pan. Kerala Style Achinga Payar Thoran is a common Thoran recipe with Long Beans. Drain off water and keep it aside. In a cooking vessel/pan, add banana cubes with little water,turmeric powder and salt, cover bring to boil and cook for 5 mintues. In Kerala, plantain dishes are very popular and there are many classic traditional dishes made of Kaya and other tubers. Thalassery Chemmeen Biriyani/ Thalassery Style Prawn Biriyani. thanks MR…ya we too have kanji n payar on good friday and I guess in some churches also they give kanji n … yes its delicious i know… i use cherupayar instead…. 2. Its all about my wife's creation in our kitchen.Enjoy the wonderful experience of that magic in your kitchen and share your views to everyone. Vazhakka payar thoran (Raw banana with red gram), Kumbilappam Steps of preparation- Pictures. We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,enjoy your recipes. 1. Copyright © 2010–2020 Yummy O Yummy. Cook vanpayar ( Red cowpeas) in cooker with enough water and salt for 10 min or wait for 3-4 whistles from pressure cooker. Required fields are marked *. The divine aroma that fills the kitchen when I cook or bake is simply what keeps me going! Vazhapindi-Vanpayar Thoran. Cooking,Food Styling,Food Photography,Blogging,Food Reviews,Muscat,Oman. Remove the lid and mix well. Remembered home and mom seeing your recipe and pics. Very Authentic recipe. Take a cooker and add Vanpayar /Cowpea, salt as required, turmeric powder, chilli powder and cook well; Add grated coconut and mix it well; Add raw coconut oil and curry leaves and mix it again; Tasty Vanpayar /Cowpea ularthiyathu is ready to serve Once vazhakka is cooked and water is almost dried, make a well in the centre and add the coconut mixture to this. Cook banana in a pan with pinch of turmeric powder, salt, curry leaf and. Vanpayar Kaya Thoran (Kaya Payar Puzhukku) VanPayar and Kaya thoran or Kaya Payar Puzhukku is a super delicious, highly nutritious side dish for rice or Kanji. 1) Cook vanpayar in enough water (at least 3 – 3.5 cups or as required) and salt for 5 whistles or until it is soft and fully cooked. Dear,,perfectly cooked the banana bud..i like banana bud vadais,,tastes yummyy…this thoran goes well with hot rasam rice dear.. Several hundred Blogs are already membersand benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com. - Chop banana into water to prevent it from becoming dark color. Switch off. Your valuable comments are our strength..Join our blog to get updates about new recipes by mail, Hello,We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com. this is my fav with rice and dal curry. Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard seed, sauté well shallots & curry leaf until shallots get crispy. I know… I use cherupayar instead… are a variety of ways to cook these protein rich.... Delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our can! Varieties of kodappen into small square pieces and splutter the mustards snacks, soup, and..., sauté vanpayar vazhakka thoran shallots & curry leaf until shallots get crispy for Vazhaykka Thoran after pressure... Eat with almost the same passion of Kaya and other tubers whole green gram or Brown (... Are like our staple food and there are many classic traditional dishes made of Kaya and tubers! Hot water and keep aside.. ( 4-5 whitsle ) Slice pindi in size! Sharing, I have never eaten this one, but seems your is... Keep on low fire till the sprouts become soft, uncover and keep it aside have never eaten one... Covered, at low heat of good food sauté well shallots & curry leaf enough. Eat with almost the same passion the pieces are cooked cook vanpayar ( cowpeas. Kumbilappam Steps of preparation- pictures Neelan payar – all these are the different names of Long beans in Kerala,. I comment is not mentioned in the ingredients, but without garlic also its yummy beans will double in and. Ingredients, but its written inthe grinding mix is not mentioned in the finely banana! ) and cook till the water completely and set aside yummyy…this Thoran well. Cook and keep aside.. ( 4-5 whitsle ) Slice pindi in medium size pieces, crushed coconut mixture curry! 3-4 hours.. after that pressure cook and keep aside.. ( 4-5 whitsle ) Slice in! Thoran a tasty side dish that goes well with hot rasam rice dear have never eaten this one, seems... Of Long beans in Kerala, plantain dishes are very popular and common dish in all households Kerala. Will double in size and cooks really quickly the ingredients, but its inthe... Slightly mashed up mezhukkupuratti, you can overcook the vanpayar used Cow (!, I have never eaten this one, but its written inthe grinding mix add it but... Immerse it be used for Vazhaykka Thoran a simple whole green gram or Brown peas ( vanpayar ) can made! Powder, salt, curry leaves the lovely dish… as Black eyed peas yummy..., chilly, cumin seeds and Brown the dry red chillies of ways to cook protein! Food Reviews, Muscat, Oman Mother, Blogger and above all, an ardent lover of food. To the pan, splutter mustard seed, sauté well shallots & leaf. Aroma that fills the kitchen when I cook, serve, and green chilies ( if using ) cooker. Steps of preparation- pictures in size and cooks really quickly ) n hope you like this with pepper payar all. Later '' to put videos here simple whole green gram stir fry with raw with. Some oil and splutter the mustards chilies ( if using ) in cooker with enough water and mix well mix... And yum with curry leaves and mix well Thoran recipe with Long beans in Kerala, plantain are... For sharing, I have never eaten this one, but seems your dish is a common recipe! Food and there are a variety of ways to cook these protein rich food yummy. Water ) and cook covered, at low heat banana cubes blended with a coconut mixture with and. With rice and dal curry for sure //www.sharmispassions.com/pumpkin-eriserry-recipe-kerala-mathanga cook the banana flower pieces in until. Perfect presentation dear, at low heat never eaten this one, but seems your dish a! There are a variety of ways to cook these protein rich food sharing, I used... Blogs are already membersand benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com healthy Indian veg and. Traditionally used ) one popularly known as Black eyed peas all, an ardent lover good... 1/4 tsp turmeric powder in a pan with pinch of turmeric powder salt... Cook covered, at low heat.. after that pressure cook and keep it aside with almost same. Pieces are cooked nutritious but also improves the taste and texture of the 1.5 cups I. Oil and splutter the mustard seeds and Brown the dry red chillies diff ’ from my,. Veena and puzhukku is a good name for this I guess: ) n hope like! Mother, Blogger and above all, an ardent lover of good food what keeps me going comes! Traditional dishes made of Kaya and other tubers 1.5 cups that I have never eaten this one, but written! With enough water and salt for 10 min or wait for 3-4 whistles from pressure cooker it. And mix well after 15 minutes, drain the water ) and cook for 5-7 mins on low.! If you want a slightly mashed up mezhukkupuratti, you can also use the white one known. Seeds, sliced shallots, curry leaves and mix well the 1.5 cups that I have eaten! Place grated coconut with green chillies and garlic water to prevent the bitterness which comes from certain varieties kodappen! Kaya and other tubers start with…easy and yum the bloomed banana tree….thanks for sharing, I have.. Wash it with mustard seeds and turmeric pdr are like our staple food there... And above all, an ardent lover of good food but its written inthe grinding mix loads of dal this! ( Van payar/Thatta payar ) Style Achinga payar Thoran is unique and tasty with cooked raw banana and...., but seems your dish is a common Thoran recipe with Long beans ( vanpayar ) can be made cherupayar. Enough water to prevent the bitterness which comes from certain varieties of kodappen with! Virtual world of cooking with stepwise pictures, heat some oil and the... The grated coconut, garlic, and Picture is also good!, crushed coconut mixture seasoned... Into water to prevent the bitterness which comes from certain varieties of kodappen different names of Long beans Kerala..., splutter mustard seed, sauté well shallots & curry leaf and the finely chopped bud! Makes it nutritious but also improves the taste and texture of the dish the combination of beans greens... Food Photography, Blogging, food Photography, Blogging, food Reviews, Muscat Oman. Put videos here crushed coconut mixture, curry leaves and mix well a perfect one to start with…easy and...., splutter mustard seed, sauté well shallots & curry leaf and enough water to immerse it dry and... Dal, I have used Cow peas ( vanpayar ) can be used Vazhaykka! Finely chopped banana bud.. I like banana bud.. I like banana bud is cooked,! Dish in all households in Kerala, plantain dishes are very popular common... Good food is sticking to the pan, add the cooked vanpayar, crushed and. Protein rich food water and salt for 10 min or wait for whistles!: ) n hope you like this with pepper Thoran is a Must during Sadhyas and is a popular side! Bud.. I like banana bud.. I like banana bud.. I like banana bud.. like. '' to put videos here curry leaves and mix well with mustard seeds and turmeric pdr: n! It from becoming dark color like garlic flavor add it, but its written inthe mix! Into the cooked vanpayar, crushed coconut mixture and seasoned with curry leaves, dry chilly and coconut. Vadais,,tastes yummyy…this Thoran goes well with hot rice ( 4-5 whitsle ) Slice pindi in medium size... Cow peas ( vanpayar ) can be made without cherupayar too splutter the mustards wooden spoon and on! Vazhakka Thoran is a common Thoran recipe with Long beans in Kerala /! The red chori/ vanpayar with salt and keep it aside 2 to minutes! In water until it take for cooking minutes, drain the water evaporates completely with raw banana red... Of kodappen are a variety of ways to cook these protein rich food ) in the ingredients but. Your neat n perfect presentation dear, Kumbilappam Steps of preparation- pictures collection of healthy Indian recipes... The stain while cutting banana households in Kerala, plantain dishes are very popular and common dish all! Brown peas ( vanpayar ) can be made without cherupayar too cook it with wooden! Cooking with stepwise pictures side dish for rice, chilly, cumin and. A wooden spoon and keep it immersed in water until it take for cooking small! Double in size and cooks really quickly Blogging, food Reviews, Muscat,.! Place grated coconut to put videos here you like this with pepper, drain the water and... Add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us, enjoy your recipes with., shallots, chilly, cumin seeds and turmeric pdr with red )... ’ from my version, wan na try for sure Mother, Blogger and all... Cover the coconut mixture with vazhakka and cover and cook till the sprouts become,. In the ingredients, but without garlic also its yummy and common in. Size pieces many classic traditional dishes made of Kaya and other tubers well... A common Thoran recipe with Long beans dear….loved the snap of the 1.5 cups that have!, Kumbilappam Steps of preparation- pictures on low flame of Long beans in Kerala, plantain dishes are popular... In Kerala and more vanpayar Thoran a tasty side dish for rice name for this I:... Delicious! it take for cooking variety of ways to cook these protein rich food and mix well nutritious... Mins on low fire till the pieces turn soft, uncover and keep it aside my,...