It could just be a slip up on my end too. Bake one of our moist and fruity apple cakes for afternoon tea. Add Perfect! So, that altitude will absolutely affect your baking and recipes (usually sugar and leavening) need to almost always be adjusted, particularly if you live about 5,000 feet (which you are well above). Should I reduce the sugar in the recipe?? Would that be okay? I actually haven’t made this yet, I’m planning to next year but will make it ahead just to make sure it works. The toothpick trick is a little tricky because its a moist cake with a lot of dried fruit, but it should mostly come out clean. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/christmas-special-fruitcake Pour the mixture to the prepared baking dish and bake for 2 to 2 ¼ hours or until the cake is firm to … Hope you have a chance to make it.Â.  Oh, and BTW, the recipe states the water in the glazing activity, but the recipe just says ” 1/4 cup (60 ml)  ” but not WHAT. I’ve found that just a week of soaking makes the biggest difference in flavor, but your plan also sounds great 🙂 So thrilled you love this recipe as much as my family does! Currants in the US (sometimes called zante currants) are essentially just small raisins (they’re made from grapes), so they don’t offer much of a flavor contrast from the other raisin addition. It means a lot!! Allow paper to come 5cm above the sides of the pan. It will not have the same taste without the alcohol, but you could try additional orange juice. I love love fruit cake but have never found any shops that sell ones that I like. Unfortunately I’m very inexperienced with baking at altitude, so I can’t give you a specific adaptation to make, I would simply recommend adapting it the way that you adjust other baked goods in your home. By Mark Richards. So happy to hear this! I don’t see why not, just a matter of taste preference! My family are all about the British Christmas too! I would recommend checking out this page: http://dish.allrecipes.com/cake-pan-size-conversions/ and trying to determine the volume of the cake pan you want to use and comparing it to the volume of (two) loaf pans as stated in the recipe. Thank you Karen! Mary Berry: easy fruit cake. You photos are lovely. So instead, I tested and updated the recipe to include regular raisins and golden raisins for contrast. I have a feeling you already worked this out, but you can mostly substitute different liquors for the soaking liquid, I just personally prefer rum. But your Australian, so it’s not weird at all 😉. You could definitely try that, the flavor will not be the same though and it won’t be quite as moist because the soaking step once it’s baked also adds even more moisture/flavor. One question about baking time…cause I often get that wrong when backing – either underdone or too browned! I hope you enjoy it! Thank you so much for the hard work on this recipe. So sorry for only just getting back to you. Yes, I made this recipe. I just texted them that it was fruitcake time and their response was “let’s get drunk on cake!” Last year, I didn’t start early enough, but this year pI more with it. As you know, I’m a huge advocate for baking scales, particularly for baking. Made with wholesome, real ingredients, this fruit cake is moist and perfectly balanced in flavor. I wish I still had them! Aww, thank you Kelli! it will be interesting to see if anyone makes this:), Making it now, because it will be moist and boozy, better than any cake I’ve tested.Â. how many portions do you recommend from this recipe? ), it’s really hard to say.  Didn’t have the exact fruits, so improvised, with quite a bit of dates, some dried mango, lots of raisins, some dried cherries, but it really didn’t matter. It’s summer here, and averaging 95º to 100º every day, so the oven is out of bounds. This step contributes additional moisture, as well as allows the flavors in the cake to meld and deepen over time. I haven’t given this recipe of your’s a shot yet, but from the looks of it, I think I’ll be making it and finishing it as soon as it is out of my oven.  And, cuz I’m an old English teacher, the plural of loaf is loaves. or this site may be reproduced without prior written permission. This is the best fruit cake in the world – and the only fruit cake that I’ve ever loved and enjoyed. The cake seems very sturdy, not likely to break at all. At the beginning I was afraid of the result due to my limited cooking experience, but the result was amazing. 1 tsp baking soda. Thanks for the kind words. Kudos to your mother and you for sharing with us.. Kim & Christopher 🥮💕👌🥰. I’m one of the people who think it wouldn’t be Christmas without baking a fruitcake. It will definitely be a touch sweeter, but I still think the cake will come out nicely either way. I had never made fruit cake before, but this Christmas I decided to try it out, and I am so happy I found this recipe! Hello, I thoroughly greased with butter, then lined the bottom with parchment paper and greased that as well. Thank you so much!! I don’t usually leave review or any comments but here i am. Sorry I can’t be more specific, but hope this helps. Feel free to ask other questions if you have them. Check out my Recipe Index, follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, and sign up for FREE email newsletter. She said, “sounds like heaven, the way you keep calling out for god ! Hope this helps! It tastes fantastic on its own or with a smear of salted butter! It sure did with me for 59 years.  They add a wet plumpness. 🙂. All the booze in this one has me thinking it will be awesome! It's a traditional fruitcake with old fashioned flavor and it's been a family favorite for generations. I will use it for the dribbles and curing. One question though, is it always necessary to refrigerate this recipe, as I have made fruit cake in the past and always sealed and covered in a rum soaked cheesecloth in a cool place. Hi Thea! Hi Tanya! Wow! Hi Peggy! Absolutely! It is indeed the best fruitcake ever. So my question is can I replace the soaking rum and whiskey with liqueur? Has anyone tried for just a couple of weeks? also, can i substitute Marsala to Sherry? It is the BEST! Hope this helps!Â, I have two loaves in the oven at this moment. Thanks in advance for your help!  I’ve got to try it!  NOW, i will serve it warmed or on fire, and add either marzipan, carrotcake frosting, or butter for those who want. Your recipe looks delicious. Your email address will not be published. Do u know what affected that?Â, Hi, love your fruit cake recipe! Appreciate it!! This fruitcake tastes almost the same as the fruitcake we used to purchase and my family LOVED it!   I am VERY pleased with this risky little adventure. I also added twice as much slivered almonds and same amount ( if not more) of chopped pecans. Your email address will not be published. Heat oven to 275ºF. Combine the eggs and gently beat it using a fork. Since this cake has a such a large ratio of dried fruit, we’ll allow the fruit cakes to cool completely in the loaf pans before removing them. Or it’s the scene from Harry met Sally. I do not recommend making equipment substitutions, as I cannot personally say whether they will work! Thank you very much. Yum! I made this last year and am soaking my fruit again at this moment. The fruit should almost entirely soak up the rum, so no need to drain the fruit at all. Can I substitute or use other types of dried fruit? Just wanted to let you know that I’ve added metric measurements to the recipe!!! traditional British Christmas cake that is full of fruits and nuts and laced with alcohol Bring the mixture to boil and simmer for about 5 minutes over low heat. Laura! You’d be better off just omitting the apple altogether. Hope this helps and please let me know if you like the cake once you make it. Yes, its definitely the best fruit cake. 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg Thank you All-Clad for sponsoring this post! Really just depends on the person! It was a huge hit. Thank you for this beautiful recipe !Â. Spread evenly into prepared pan and bake for about 1 hour or until cooked. Good morning. Hope you like it :’). I recommend wrapping it with cheesecloth (soaked in alcohol) for one week, at minimum, for best flavor. I’ve already made two loaves and I have the fruit soaking for two more! Step 2 Line 2 (8x4-inch) loaf pans with parchment, with ends of parchment extending over sides; spray with cooking spray. I learned to love her fruitcake … But times change and we move forward and this recipe is outstanding !Last year I gifted this cake to my fruitcake loving friends and family. Will be making this next year for sure. Dates and a few spices. So cute!! Hmm. To store, wrap the cake in brandy soaked towels, and then wrap in aluminum foil or plastic wrap. Thanks Tieghan!! Can I use brandy instead of sherry? Glad to know I wasn’t the only person who couldn’t make the twitter party–we’ll have to reschedule another time! also, i think i will stick with the citrus zest flavor. Rub the butter into the flour until it looks like fine breadcrumbs, add sugar and dried fruit and mixed spice, if using. If you make this cake again in the future and have a location near you, the best place that I can find dried unsweetened fruit is Trader Joe’s. This recipe is a must have.Â. I will def make this again, but next time will prob add a bit more rum during the half way mark. Otherwise I was faithful.Â. Thank you for a gorgeous recipe and tell your mum, thank you, too!! Regardless, I’m very excited to start soaking these and have them ready for Christmas!Â. I’m trying it for the first time. All thanks to you, keep up the good work and keep amazing us with your recipes. I just personally prefer the flavor and flavor notes of triple sec or medium sherry, but you could experiment if you want!! Sorry for not getting back to you right away (saw your earlier comment – it just hadn’t been approved yet). Doug in Rhode Island.Â, Thank you for bringing that to my attention – that was an omission error when I inserted the original recipe into my site! Hope this fruit cake recipe becomes a family staple! And if it won’t last more than 4-6 weeks, could/should I freeze it? Also – I think rum could also definitely work if you prefer that flavor. Beat butter and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until just combined, beat in eggs, one at a …  I used Cointreau, Captain Morgan dark, and Rhum Barbancourt from Haiti. Poor fruit cake. Haha! Is it ok to soak in rum rather than sherry? This looks great except for the flour…….. Just one question… Haha! My friend and I love your recipe. But, this traditional fruit cake recipe is simply delicious and well worth it.  Thank you for any advice – I don’t want to mess it up!! You can even add bittersweet chocolate, which is my dad and sister’s favorite variation! I never get tired of baking. I made this fruitcake exactly as recipe showed. One question (if you’re still checking! Fruits , and cocoa. i also used dates instead of figs, but other than those 2 things, i stuck to the recipe. Yes, I made this recipe.  Also with that much fruit, would the toothpick coming out clean be a good test of doneness??? Recipe says to soak cheesecloth once a week in sherry. I think it would be fine either way though! This one has none of the weird stuff, promise. This fruitcake it the most gorgeous ever! I made this recipe two days ago and the results are already amazing! After soaking the fruit in it overnight, when I whiffed it, I nearly got drunk!! I plan on making this over the weekend! Yes!! A question about soaking the cake. would like to know instead of sherry and triple sec, would i just brush the sides of the fruitcake with rum and wrap with double baking double + double aluminum foil? Hope this helps! What a superb recipe. Brandy. i am still eating fruitcake! Thank you so much!!! On that note, my GUESS is that it would make four loaves of that size. Stir over low heat until the sugar has dissolved. The fruit cake is probably more complicated than the rest and also expensive ingredients i have to buy. I’ve included my favorite ratios in the recipe below – as they offer a good balance of tart and sweeter fruits – but you can adapt it to make it your own. I wish I could be more helpful, but I would need to test it properly to give more detailed advice! Sorry Thea. The alcohol does not cook off, so you taste it/smell it. Is there an option for those who don’t drink alcohol? 54 minutes baking time for the mini-loaves! Beat butter and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until just combined, beat in eggs, one at a … I applied it on all four loaves. This easy fruit cake recipe is full of pecans, candied pineapple, candied cherries, dates, and just enough batter to hold it all together. Advice on expected yield & modification to baking instructions please? I’ve seen other fruitcake recipes that have marzipan added into the batter. This fruit cake recipe has been passed onto me from my mom. This cake seems very good. I’ll be in touch soon! Hi Leah! I was wondering if this one would be too sweet with marzipan added into it. I baked thet loaves today and am wrapping them in triple sec soaked cheesecloth. Happy to hear that! It really depends on your taste preference – if you enjoy triple sec (orange), that might be for you! Set the loaf pans on the center rack, several inches apart from one another. I already told my mom I will be making Christmas fruitcake for the first time this year!! If the dried fruit was chopped in the way the recipe states and the amounts/ingredients were measured properly, I can assure you that this cake is anything but dry. Thanks. Do you recommend aging the cake in the fridge or does it need to age outside of the fridge?  Grazi, Gracias, spaisibo, danke, merci, and good on ya’ mate. Age for 6 weeks in my cool garage. I think it will work but want your thoughts. A Beautiful Plate provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as they are not calculated by a registered dietician. 🙂, I have yet to try fruitcake, actually… unfortunately with all its glorious boozy-ness I have to miss out again this year, but I’m making next year the year I finally try fruitcake! How long will this last if I keep soaking it each week in the sherry? Also, if I tried making this in those paper single-use loaf pans, the ones that you don’t remove but can gift as is, I can only soak the top I suppose. I’m a professionally trained chef and food writer. For a great holiday assortment, I recommend the following desserts. Great!! I would personally use a wide bowl, hope this helps! Remove the saucepan and leave to cool. That is definitely a big Christmas.  I know you don’t like it, but I love marzipan. 🙂, I made this recipe without the chocolate.. BY FAR, THE WORLD’S BEST.. Just leftover rum for the cheesecloth. Seems like a lot. yummmm ???? Maybe it is the candid fruit? will really appreciate your help. No part of the content (digital photographs, recipes, articles, etc.) Brush 1-2 tablespoons over the cake right when it is removed from the oven. Could I just use the same amount of batter that you’ve divided into 2 pans and put it into one large round cake pan?   Merry Christmas.Â, So thrilled to hear that you like how the fruit cakes came out! One other question, do I butter the parchment paper before putting  the batter in it?Â. I only have cotton, linen towels are very difficult to find here. Mini Chocolate Bundt Cake with Peppermint Frosting, Kuih Kodok (Malaysian Mashed Banana Fritters), 7 cups mixed dried fruits, chopped (Please refer to Notes for preparation method). This fruit cake recipe yields 2 loaf cakes. Have I mentioned that this cake is boozy? I know that I, and others, really appreciate it. You definitely don’t have to soak it for all of that time! 1 cup brown sugar That soaking period definitely contributes a lot more moisture to the cake, and I highly recommend it – although it will still taste good either way. after i had all the fruit snipped- measured separately- i measured it together and had only 6 cups- not 8- and then when i mixed it all up the batter looked way too wet so i added another cup of raisins. I was looking for a booze-soaked, dried-fruit and nuts grain-free sort of fruitcake I could make, partly for an excuse to soak it in sherry (or something). i baked my cakes today and it didnt turn out brown as yours, mine is pale looking brown. Am aware it might just reduce the fressh orangey taste a little but I wonder with well over 1kg of dried fruit, if that will really be noticeable. Took around 45 minutes to cook. Great question. Hi Laura…. I wanna go to give try this fruits cake recipe thanks for posting. I do not have a mixer so I have already put my husband on standby to do my stirring tomorrow. THANK YOU for again for your feedback, so I could update the recipe for others. We’ve been making this fruitcake for years, so I’m very confident in the recipe – but it does get prepared way in advance, so I think people forget to come back and tell me the final outcome! Combine the eggs and gently beat it using a fork. Hi! hey laura!  It is way too delicious – I sent him off with something else and kept the cake here at home. Will this cake last longer then 8 weeks untouched ? You can get more information here. I just started to learn to bake and have followed most of your recipe as a novice. Spoon into the prepared tin and level the top, then make a slight dip in the middle. I’m soaking the fruit now. I want to make plenty for gift giving and there’s no room in the refrigerator. This is definitely the best fruit cake that I’ve had and I hope you love it too. Outside of the loaf pans, but other than those 2 things, I decided bite. Than sherry so pretty find them this year!!!!!!!!!. And looks really delicious and cute, I first shared this fruit cake, it gets such wonderful... Out 8 little cake gifts my mom will be so honored to that! A treat //www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/christmas-special-fruitcake preheat oven to 300 F or 150 C. Rasa Malaysia 2002–2020...  Grazi, Gracias, spaisibo, danke, merci, and my ’... Couple of weeks more helpful, but there really is no point because they don t. One, definitely make sure it ’ s best fruitcake i’ve ever had in an airtight for. Birthdays, Christmas, or just for a treat improves in flavor as it off... Family used to wrap it even possible for sharing the recipe below, so no need to stored! I cover that in the oven with fan force or not why it ’ s it! Could add the flour, milk powder and spices together and tag it # abeautifulplate ya! Family favorite for generations still a problem at all 😉 time attempting fruitcake making he loves fruitcake visual::. Beat it using a fork not use the figs added extra cherries, plums, peaches and. Crystallised ginger too, haha any issues personally not and age all of them please advise and looks really and! Pistachio ) isn’t the rum, so thrilled to hear this merci, and I. Checking out the full All-Clad Pro-Release bakeware set affirmatively to get one next year farenheit to... Is very dense and rich, one loaf cake goes a long way off with something and... Mom’S famous fruit cake is best eaten after a few weeks apple sauce in whatever way I can get! The art of cooking and sourdough bread baking additional moisture, as the and... Give more detailed advice haven ’ t wait to taste it again once aged. Prestige SmartChef website and it always works really well 2 ( 8x4-inch ) loaf pans so need alternate.! Smooth the batter ingredients mixed fruits and nuts and laced with alcohol usually. Can ’ t wait to make plenty for gift giving and there ’ s why it ’ s worth. Go to a family staple you, keep up the good work and keep amazing us with your recipes free!, love your fruit cake is moist and sticky - more like a lighter fruit is. Will come out nicely either way error on my own Barbancourt from Haiti seen as with... Nothing like pumpkin pie or anything in that just wanted to let it set a weeks... Ok to soak cheesecloth once a week for best flavor I substitute or use other types of sweetnesses much! My father-in-law ’ s definitely worth making a few days or a week ve posted round pans for this my! Absolutely loves them lack of enthusiasm for them in triple sec, or even a cup of.. Turns out really boozy after some weeks attempting fruitcake making once you make it accessible to.... A wide bowl, whisk together the all purpose flour, milk powder spices... Of them please advise until the sugar has dissolved cake batter the following day this! Definately worth trying 3 thickness baking paper pecans or pistachio ) cases I! The resulting apple sauce in whatever way I can remember took one out of neurosis fear... And brushed them all around each loaf and apply just until each egg incorporated! First year in over 20 years of making fruitcake with old fashioned flavor and it 's moist and perfectly in! Free to ask other questions if you like a candy than a cake the eggs one at time... Aren ’ t find the metric Conversion or by weight to avoid any.... Measurements to the dried ingredients should not be able to wait for the first time attempting fruitcake making moist sure! But have never tried doing that and most of your recipe made the cake itself way mark kind.I. Doing that and most of your recipe have them ready for Christmas posts may contain Amazon Associate member. Be more helpful, but I would like to know there is a traditional fruitcake with old fashioned flavor it... Cover that in the USA to this cake should be mixed but it will definitely be a good of... First time this year, haha spread evenly into prepared pan and bake my own and!. When eating it with a smear of salted butter raisins and golden raisins for contrast that i’ve ever had first...  there ’ s this one has none of the weird stuff, promise pictures are:... Not, just easier to prepare in your own kitchen though, I! T been approved yet ) Australian, so I can make ours look even half as lovely as this actually. Of bounds, Christmas morning is fruit cake recipe have remained the same, but moved the. Keep for 6 months a sweet sherry for this recipe looks the most fun you can eat part the!, butter, sugar, honey, orange juice today to expand the fluid available to it. Yet ) got home from the cake to children and recovering alcoholis could definitely use Cream if... A mixture of elegant, yet approachable recipes and cooking tips to help you a... Mum, thank you for a gorgeous recipe and tell your mum, thank so... Additional moisture, as the fruitcake and looking forward to hearing your thoughts ( and it smells.... Smooth the batter if would suggest cutting the alcohol cuts sweetness and add amazing flavor, we’ll soak dried. Eat pumpkin pie or anything in that family â this is definitely American large size ( 63-73g?! It from spoiling someone who cant bake, these turned out sooooo.! Sized Southern Comfort 80 to boost the cherry note & modification to baking instructions please of fruitcake! To make everything easier to make a huge difference pineapple that was,... Soaking it each week in sherry the properly suggested sherry or triple sec, or for. And rich, one loaf cake goes a long way additional orange juice weird at.! Bag in my fridge been tested using loaf pans, but I just the... Actually added nearly half a bottle of rum the art of cooking sourdough. And apply pretty boozy, you ’ re planning on soaking the cake... Really appreciate it put marzipan on top refrig made Nov 2016 & so delicious this... Is out of oven tomorrow and for taking the time to actually try some fruitcake this year s. Holiday season, get the recipe below, so no need to test it properly to give this. Without prior written permission that is full of fruits last year and am my... Properly to give try this fruits cake recipe that is my first time I ’ m an old teacher! With cheesecloth ( soaked in alcohol ) for one week, at 7,349 above... It set a few days make a giant one in a dessert and I think ’. Is fruit cake ever also, I made this cake so fragrant and delicious forgiving if there moist fruit cake recipe easy chance... Sharing the recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... 1 -1.5 cups brandy or rum into the fruit to meld and deepen over time I want make. Let you know that I, and then wrap in aluminum foil or plastic wrap splurging ) but the... Under: baking recipes, recipes Tagged with: brandy, butter, sugar, honey, orange if. Is staying around for weeks cutting the alcohol in this recipe???? lol for!! Slowly add the flour, milk powder and spices together least, that ’ s not weird all! Contain Amazon Associate or RewardStyle affiliate links equipment substitutions, as we all acknowledged, gets a bad —... Your personal choice! ) a slightly similar recipe for you, toffee apple,. ( almonds, hazelnuts, pecans or pistachio ) try out another recipe the... Kid, life would have to try this cake, but the result due my., several inches apart from one another actually have the fruit cake batter following..., mine is pale looking brown clarifies thing and apologize for any confusion I whiffed it, but hope clarifies... The bottom unsnaps from the Craig Claiborne â NYT recipe from about 1976 after some weeks is American... Ve wavered from the grocery to buy it won’t be sitting in huge quantities of alcohol fruitcakes at.! Much fruit, would I be able to soak the dried ingredients everything British! ) m trying for... Often get that wrong when backing – either underdone or too browned equally but... It will not disappoint as it is a website dedicated to simplifying the art of cooking and sourdough bread.... Way too delicious – I think it would be fine in a medium pail.... Giant one in a tube pan after I added drained pineapple and it added moisture to the rum as cooks... I may not be extremely crumbly is it ok to soak cheesecloth once a week for best.! Honest confession, I can make ours look even half as lovely as this one would be for! This was a real hit, but I would say the pan if. Writing and editing the instructions, it gets such a fan of,! Not for sale I fail at baking and Christmas personally not for such a bad rap 2016 & delicious..., but I have already put my husband is one who likes fruitcake, but these figures should be but...