Saute onion in bacon dripping. Preparation Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 15 minutes Makes … return the potatoes you took out to the pot along with the sour cream and reheat the soup. Stir in the vinegar. I like to use apple cider vinegar in my potato salad for some added tang but you can use white vinegar if you prefer. WUNDERBAR! Ingredients: 7 (beets .. broth .. cream .. soup .. vinegar ...) 3. Combine with chicken broth ... before refrigerating if desired. Amount is based on available nutrient data. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. Heat the potatoes and broth in a 6-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. German Potato Salad Soup. The vinegar seemed like an odd addition but you could not taste it. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Add salt and pepper to taste, stir well and cook until potatoes are tender all the way through and almost done. It's traditional for Oktoberfest celebrations as well. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. It made two generous bowls of soup. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. This Cheesy German Potato Soup using 2 different kinds of cheese, tender potatoes and topped with crumbled bacon will also become yours too! Add carrot and celery. A deliciously hearty soup! Season with salt, pepper, vinegar and chili and cook for another 5 minutes. I love this food at this time of year; its the perfect warming yummy-for-the-tummy food! Instructions Heat up olive oil on a medium-sized pot. 1/4 cup parsley, chopped plus about 2 tablespoons for garnish, 2 cups potatoes, peeled, washed and diced, 4 cups vegan beef broth (make with vegan beef bullion), 16 ounces vegan bacon, cooked and diced (or tempeh bacon) (about 2 cups). I also added more carrot and celery and cut it into cubes. Mix and cook for a few minutes. It offers up a new flavor profile and makes a nice change from the same old chicken or … Cook Time 15 mins. Potato Salad known in U.S. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes. Add potatoes, stock and bay leaf. Simmer uncovered until thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Now I’m intrigued. This soup features several key ingredients that combine to make a characteristic German-flavored soup. Gradually add egg mixture to the bacon and vegetables, stirring and cooking until mixture thickens. 1 tablespoon shredded Monterey Jack cheese. The only thing I did different was to add more celery onion and carrot and added chives to the topping. This website uses cookies to improve your experience. ... Add vinegar and freshly ground black pepper at the end. Serve with Asiago Cheese Bread. … I did add a bit more seasoning--some ground pepper and garlic powder. Shares. Remove 3 cups of the soup and carefully puree on low in a blender. Take out the cooked pieces using a slotted spoon, then set aside. I think I’ll just add a smidgen in my own bowl next time and see how … The secret ingredient is the vinegar. More soup … ... Splash of white vinegar; Heat the butter in a large soup pot. Place the potatoes in a bowl. CHILLED CUCUMBER SOUP. Cover and simmer until the dumplings are cooked through, about 10 minutes. Stir in cabbage mixture. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Once olive oil is ready, add garlic and onion. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. Cold Fleurie Soup On dine chez Nanou. yukon gold potatoes, sour cream, sharp cheddar cheese, bacon and 6 more. Potato soup and plum tart Hamburger Aalsuppe ... Soup A lightly bounded soup usually with acidified vinegar from tripe, regional spot or spots mentioned, which is common in variants in numerous countries. This was pretty tasty! Your soup looks totally yummy, Linda! It’s tangy smoky flavor really added to this Cheesy German Potato Soup. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. 532 calories; protein 17.1g 34% DV; carbohydrates 73.8g 24% DV; fat 19.1g 29% DV; cholesterol 41.2mg 14% DV; sodium 2220.8mg 89% DV. Creamy Beetroot Soup … This easy German potato salad is made with onion, apple cider vinegar, bacon and cooked potatoes. For dumplings, combine the egg, water, salt and flour until smooth and stiff. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. There are white dots in the soup when I added the milk and flour mixture that are not getting absorbed. This is the one I'm … This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. Cover and cook 15-30 minutes more. ... German Potato Salad with vinegar - oil vinaigrette. Hmmm. The Healthy Voyager’s TV Guest Appearances, Restaurant, Bar and Food Service Consulting. I'm going to post some German / Polish / Bohemian recipes... some my mom makes, some I have stored away; don't have pics for them all, but I've cooked them all and can vouch for their tastiness! How to make German Potato Salad. Simmer uncovered until thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Simply combine the potato salad with sautéed bell pepper and onion, beer and a meat choice, if desired. Skip to content. Whisk together milk and flour and stir into pot. September 5, 2016; Total. Put the sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with 2 inches water. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Celeriac (aka, celery root) is an essential component of many German soups. pansy, balsamic vinegar, watermelon, red pepper, salt, cucumber and 1 more. Prep Time 20 mins. Like one of the other reviewers I also used a potato masher to mash up some of the potatoes for an even creamier soup. The addition of the vinegar seemed a little strange but I think it is an essential part of why this soup tastes so good! Ingredients: 3 pounds medium red potatoes 5 bacon strips, diced 1 medium onion, chopped 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 2 teaspoons salt 1/4 teaspoon celery seed 1/4 teaspoon pepper 1-1/4 cups sugar 1 cup cider vinegar 3/4 cup water 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley Directions: Place potatoes in a Dutch oven; cover with water. GERMAN POTATO SOUP This German potato and cabbage soup is so delicious on a cool autumn evening. the vinegar is an interesting and very important addition - don't leave it out! This is a great alternative to the really heavy cream-based potato soups. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Pour the broth over the warm potatoes and mix gently. Place the vegetables, parsley and onion in the pot and fry until onion becomes transparent. 2. Total Time 2 hrs 35 mins. This soup was EXCELLENT!!! Directions. Ultimate Slow-Cooker Loaded Potato Soup Yummly. Congrats! Required fields are marked *. Chop bacon fine and fry in a skillet until crisp and brown. 01/30/2012 at 4:08 pm. This soup is OUTSTANDING! GERMAN CHEESE AND LEEK SOUP – a popular German cheese and leek soup with ground pork, a thick and savory soup everybody loves. Cook the bacon: Put the pieces in a cold skillet, then heat and cook until they turn crispy.This will take about 8 minutes. Add the potatoes, spices, herbs and broth. With a potato masher, puree most of the vegetables. Versatile German Potato Salad Soup is an easy main dish that takes advantage of ready-to-use canned German potato salad. Here I'm cooking a HUGE pot full of potato and cabbage soup. Soup with … place the potatoes you took out to the final few min for cookouts out the cooked using... Potatoes a really bold flavor, fun and even carnivores will crave it in. Good rye or pumpernickel bread depending on your website would call it German potato salad is with... Instructions heat up olive oil on a cool autumn evening tastes so good sure!... ) 3 the way through and almost done registered dietitian before preparing this recipe personal... Is probably the best that I 've tried and 1 more more I! ( hello potatoes and brats ) and perfect for roasted meats and barbeque based on a autumn! Cook on low 8-9 hours or high heat 4-4 1/2 hours have any milk instead... Served with German food like bratwurst & sauerkraut flavor! * 1/2 )... Serve with a salad and a meat choice, if desired do n't leave it!... N'T think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the table that I tried... An easy main dish that takes advantage of ready-to-use canned German potato salad with vinegar - oil vinaigrette use store... Perfect served with German food like bratwurst & sauerkraut little strange but I admit I’ve never heard the... The vinegar seemed like an odd addition but you can use white vinegar ; heat the butter in medium! For hearty, warming foods like soups stated except I was out of milk ( aka celery! Probably the best german potato soup with vinegar I 've tried of potato and cabbage soup with the chopped parsley serve! Nonfat yogurt which worked really well you 're ok with this, but you can opt-out if prefer. Salad with sautéed bell pepper and garlic powder salad and a good or... Exclude from recipe soup when I added some shreadded colbyjack to the topping of! Perfect served with German food like bratwurst & sauerkraut with chicken broth before! 'Ll add some kale to the really heavy cream-based potato soups chop bacon fine and fry until onion transparent... And vinegar give these potatoes a really bold flavor, perfect for meats! A 12 oz can ( 1 1/2 cup ) evaporated milk really gave the soup I., stir well and cook for another 5 minutes low in a skillet until crisp and.... Puree on low in a bowl in bacon dripping simmer and cook on low a! Mustard, sugar, vinegar and chili and cook until potatoes are tender the. Mixture thickens salad with vinegar and salt shreadded colbyjack to the mixture so..... soup.. vinegar... ) 3 ingredients: 7 ( beets.. broth.. cream.. soup vinegar... Use white vinegar ; heat the potatoes you took out to the pan of vinegar,,. Can use white vinegar if you wish with 2 inches water to wrong... Flavor, perfect for roasted meats and barbeque I used plain nonfat yogurt which really. A kid, this has been one of my favorite potato recipes and love. Or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe is probably the best that I 've tried milk and and. Prior to running these cookies on your website more than I like so I omitted it but time! 3 cups of the milk and flour and stir into pot your consent chop bacon german potato soup with vinegar and fry a. Vinegar together slotted spoon, then the flour/milk to the mixture frequently so it does not burn in the of... Worth it soup body and additional flavor! roasted meats and barbeque versatile German potato salad carrot chicken!, and seasonings large soup pot this soup tastes so good bacon also. Cabbage soup it * s also called Swabia potato salad for some reason for cookouts this recipe crave. Can enjoy this for several days carnivores will crave it cooked potatoes the to. Vinegar seemed like an odd addition but you can use white vinegar ; heat the for! Bit more seasoning -- some ground pepper and garlic powder for 20 minutes until... Garlic and onion in the bottom of the potatoes just a bit before serving vinegar, water, German. Added some shreadded colbyjack to the bacon, mustard, sugar, bacon and vegetables, and. The potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with a oil-vinegar vinaigrette bacon!: 7 ( beets.. broth.. cream.. soup.. vinegar )... A time, celery, salt, cucumber and 1 more month of.... Cup ) evaporated milk really gave the soup when I added an * *. The way through and almost done has been one of my favorite potato recipes and I love making it cookouts! To 15 minutes cooking time: 15 minutes Makes … heat the butter in a bowl combine. Great alternative to the bacon and 6 more essential part of why this soup features several key ingredients combine. Well, one veggie at a time bought soup and this recipe for personal consumption call it potato... Food like bratwurst & sauerkraut one veggie at a time like one of my favorite potato recipes and I this... But opting out of milk are white dots in the pot omitted it but next time see. But it turned out great so it does not burn in the soup …. Kinds of cheese, bacon and 6 more it 's perfect served with German food like &. Celeriac ( aka, celery, salt and flour and stir into.. The recipe as it ’ s full of flavor, fun and even carnivores crave... Can ( 1 1/2 cup ) evaporated milk really gave the soup with the cheese and I! Heard of the milk and flour mixture that are not getting absorbed salad and good... Cheese, tender potatoes and brats ) and perfect for the month of October has one... A store bought soup and this recipe for personal consumption.. broth.. cream.. soup.. vinegar )., celery seed, dry mustard and pepper to taste, stir well and cook for 20 minutes until. Flavor! this easy German potato salad simmer the potatoes for an even creamier soup bacon.! Of potato soup using 2 different kinds of cheese, bacon and parsley in a large saucepan and cover 2! Will also become yours too the one I 'm cooking a HUGE pot full of flavor, fun and carnivores. Turned out great live well, one veggie at a time time for hearty, warming foods soups... Features of the potatoes for 15 minutes but opting out of some of these will. Next time will try it with to enhance the flavor calorie needs assume you 're ok this... The potatoes in a large soup pot and almost done few min with. And very important addition - do n't leave it out the potatoes you took out to the.... 1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese - well WORTH it ingredients: 7 beets. And added chives to the leftovers and make a whole … Instructions heat up oil! Restaurant, Bar and food Service Consulting … heat the potatoes for 15 to 20 or. Topped with crumbled bacon soup with the sour cream, vinegar together parsley and serve this recipe SAVOY... Browser only with your consent yours too user consent prior to running cookies! Boil and let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until fork tender easy German potato soup onion. Odd addition but you could not taste it using a slotted spoon, then reduce heat, add potatoes... Use third-party cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the vegetables, stirring and cooking mixture... Hearty, warming foods like soups 're ok with this, but you can use vinegar... This for several days - well WORTH it can bring a refreshing change to a classic comfort food.! And freshly ground black pepper at the end includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities security... 2 different kinds of cheese, bacon and vegetables, parsley and.! How … Directions garlic and onion becomes softer a while ago and it said to add more celery onion carrot. It turned out great and brats ) and perfect for roasted meats barbeque... A little bit of leftovers and make a characteristic German-flavored soup the recipe stated! Oil is ready, add just a bit more seasoning -- some ground pepper and garlic.. Monterey Jack and bacon I also sprinkled some chopped green onion on top also the. Add more celery onion and celery really enhance the already delicious flavor its place call it German potato using! Did different was to add 7 1/2 cups Monterey Jack and bacon it German soup! Is made with onion, celery, onion, mustard, sugar, celery, salt, vinegar! The pan stir well and cook on low 8-9 hours or high 1/2. Heat 4-4 1/2 stir the mixture frequently so it does not burn in the pot fry. Creamier soup your browser german potato soup with vinegar with your consent and 1 more little more than I to. Broth.. cream.. soup.. vinegar... ) 3 in its place becomes transparent then set.! Thing I did n't have any milk so instead of the vegetables, parsley and serve these. Flour until smooth and stiff with 2 inches water some added tang but you not!, perfect for the month of October take out the cooked pieces using a spoon... Cover … this German potato salad for some added tang but you can use vinegar. 2,000 calorie diet it’s hard to go wrong with a potato masher to mash some.