It was actually shocking when I saw the photos. Poetry, if you want call it that way (I would). I still use my EF 85 1.2 II frequently. Though RF 85/1.2L demonstrates us it was a false assumption. I am saving for a Nikon DC! That said, looking forward a 85mm f/1.4 of the same quality...but less heavy and expensive. The new DJI Mavic Mini 2 includes several notable improvements over the original Mavic Mini, including 4K video, Raw photo capability, and DJI's robust OcuSync 2.0 transmission system. @badison Less weight is always better.. My comment was referring to this opinion I have read too often saying that a heavy lens on a heavy camera is fine, but that a heavy lens on a light camera is "awkward"... As long as you can make money with these lenses fine with me... lots of weddings in asia .... events in asia... thats alright. My FB has all the recent work and yes, a lot of portraits, for which I mainly use the 58/1.4G, a magical lens. Dan is an EOS 5D Mark IV users and has both DSLR lenses, but by the end of this test he was looking seriously at Canon’s mirrorless system when he never was before. Nobody has to buy such a lens. The best mirrorless camera in 2020 for beginners, vloggers, enthusiasts and pros. Shame on Canon they are not giving it to me, what a terrible company. So what is modified? It is not clear to anyone here...including seemingly yourself, what you mean with “sensible middle zone”. What they didn't like: 'Size and weight make for awkward handling. That f/1.2 lens aperture is quite something. We're taking a look back through 2019 by focusing on one of our all-time favorite photographic subjects – Belvedere, a rescue pup who joined the DPReview team last fall and graced many of our sample galleries over the past 12 months. The ‘DS’ version will give you superior bokeh, but with less light transference. The Canon RF 800mm F11's unique combination of telephoto reach, affordability and light weight will likely enable even more people to do the same. More work to shoot it on a Canon body, but there's no denying that dreaminess... Bernie, thanks. They include a single ground aspherical element to keep spherical aberration and corner softness from being a problem, and an Ultra Low Dispersion element positioned just ahead of it to help combat chromatic aberration. if you want/need an 85 1.2, and the quality of this lens is something that you feel will enhance your work, and don’t mind the size/weight, the price isn’t likely to be off-putting. it's a stunningly low price compared with Leica's Noctilux lenses, the only ones with which you can compare such a lens. They don't have dark circles inside. The Leica Q2 Monochrom is a version of the Gold Award-winning Q2 that only shoots images in black and white. We shall see! There are several options for the "sensible middle zone", including the EOS M system, just to stay at Canon. The special interest for Canon owners is that Canon has a particular history with fast portrait lens in its DSLR line-up, notably the old but legendary 85mm f/1.2 and the more modern f/1.4. The minimum focusing distance for the Samyang AF 85mm f/1.4 RF lens is approximately 85.34 cm from the intended focal point. You can however make a lens that is optically as good as this lens at slower apertures that isn't an F1.2. Makes me think of the EF 85 1.2 II that i owned, loved and sold for the same reason/concern many people have raised and that is weight and size. While the IQ may be great as smaller lens will probably take more keepers. If I had the cash to splash the 70-200 RF appeals more, even for portraits I'd prefer the zoom range. Relaxed subjects appear unlikely to be captured with this lens. Things were humming along until we reached 4k. Our lab tests show that the resolution falls off towards the edges of the frame, but that’s not necessarily a problem in a lens designed for portraits, and the resolution in the centre of the frame is  spectacular, even wide open at f/1.2. I’m curious what held them back to add that BR element to EF 85/1.4L IS along with EF 35/1.4L II? I could never get the skin to be "true" with yellowish skin tones. Intro Compatibility Specifications Performance ComparedRecommendations Canon RF 85mm f/1.2L USM (82mm filters, 42.2 oz./1,195g, 2.8'/0.85m close focus, $2,699. Bryan at The-Digital-Picture has completed his exhaustive review of the brand new Canon RF 85mm f/2 IS STM.Canon’s latest “affordable” fast prime. Thats personal expression. The Z 85mm f1.8S is a really nice lens. I shot manual most of the time, although I am not very familiar with Nikon gear. The new RF mount lens are all very good quality, however my only issue is I can't afford any one of them. If you need it, pay for it, otherwise there are other solutions e.g. Future US, Inc. 11 West 42nd Street, 15th Floor, Laowa 15mm F4.5 Shift Lens Review: What is a shift lens, and when is it useful? Until you lug one around it's hard to easily say it's not heavy or too heavy. All content, design, and layout are Copyright © 1998 - 2020 Digital Photography Review All Rights Reserved. It's inexpensive and works extremely well. Nice work! Here is another Canon RF 85mm f/1.2L review. Gordan Laing from CameraLabs has completed his full review of the RF 85mm f/2 Macro IS STM. Other optical enhancements include a UD (ultra-low dispersion) element and Canon’s ASC Air Sphere coating. Sure, I'm talking about purely subjective matters. "M is APSC, and is the “middle ground” you were looking for". Hi Michiel953, WB wont help with Nikon asian skin colours. Weather seals: Yes I think it may be the CFA. The best camera phone in 2020: what's the best smartphone for photography? 😉. Looks like an excellent boring marvel of optics. Please refresh the page and try again. fast lenses are prone to flaw, so to R&D and materials are cost higher. Senior Editor Barney Britton's Gear of the Year part two details how he ended up with a Reflex-Nikkor 1000mm F11, and despite its quirks, why it was ideal for a creative project in the COVID-era. 2019 was a banner year for lenses, as Canon, Nikon and Panasonic grow their respective full-frame mirrorless systems and Sony continued to add optics to its E-mount lineup. @AshleyMC.. rather than getting snippy...have you considered rephrasing your question? Here are some of our favorites. Like a otus with af and alittle faster is not a bad comparisom. The USM autofocus is fast but just in case it's not fast enough, there's a focus limiter switch to restrict it to 1.5m-infinity. Lol I would ascribe it to petty spoiled people, but I think we all know Canon can't do anything right in the eyes of most subscribers of this site. I thought CA was well controlled with that lens? Aiming to save photographers carrying a cable and a charger for every battery they use, this device handles up to four batteries at the same time and can charge at home, in the car and via a USB power bank. Canon colours not as good as they used to be imo, but havnt done H2H with a newer Fuji to compare recently either. You probably mean in a Canon AF version, preferably RF but at least EF. As the Canon RF 85mm f/1.2L USM is for the RF mount, sports the new control ring and is a new design, the nearest comparison is with its sibling the Canon RF 85mm f/1.2L USM DS. Canon RF 85mm F1.2L Autofocus Performance. This week Chris and Jordan take a closer look at the Canon RF 85mm F1.2L and – no surprises here – find it to be a technically excellent optic. Canon released two unique lenses with the Canon RF 800mm f/11 IS STM and RF 600mm f/11 IS STM. It's the wrong mount to go in our best Canon lens guide, which is for Canon EOS DSLRs, but it's an important addition to the Canon RF lens roadmap. ... now canon needs only a fitting camera for it :D ...hopefully the rumors are true :-). 'What's the best mirrorless camera?' Why later add that for you, only the legacy format inherited from 35mm film is sensible. The only reason to complain about the size and weight of a lens is because one is miffed it’s out of range for them. I don’t like how quickly detail jumps to a blurry mess. Long story short, I will switch to Canon when the upcoming R5 offers a promised higher megapixel sensor and dynamic range. Have a look at our initial sample gallery taken on a full-frame Sony body. Visit our corporate site. The R6 can be a nice option with some f1.8 primes to keep it small. So if you want the best optical quality you must pay the price and put up with the weight of lenses like this F1.2 even if you never shoot it at F1.2. The Sony 135mm f1.8 is also a very special lens. Canon says its new lens is also suited to street photography and low light photography, though it’s likely to be categorised solidly as a ‘portrait’ lens by most photographers. In stock on December 6, 2020. Someone else may be viewing with who knows what sort of screen. The Laowa 15mm F4.5 Zero-D Shift lens lets you shift perspective without moving the camera, correct for converging lines and more. Thanks Michiel.I try to please myself first, but it is also nice to see someone else can appreciate too.I see on flickr you do a lot of portraits ;). MIOPS has announced Flex, a new smart camera gadget designed to make it easy and simple to capture lightning strikes, action images, holy grail timelapse videos and much more. Right on, viggo. I am looking forward to the R5 and getting some of the RF lenses. Anyway, I can't wait how this Canon RF 85/1.2 will perform. What follows are the headiest products of 2020, the ones photographers really want. Skin tone is a reliable aspect to judge the "correctness" of an image. Love all the slights in size and weight. I really like canon 24-70 f/2 and this 85 f/1.2. @fferreres:The 135mm DC is only $1,400 brand new, and only about $800ish used excellent at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-DC-NIKKOR-135mm-Fixed-Cameras/dp/B00006I5J4. I'd get mine at Adorama, at B&H or at Amazon. Well I happen to know these, but I fail to grasp what you mean. In many aspects the 85mm f/1.8 outperforms the exotic special-purpose Canon 85mm f/1.2L II that costs five times as much!. Just look at all that glass! when is nikon going to create real lenses canon RF instead of some nonsense OLED dummies. With a 1.8x squeeze, the lens produces a more pronounced anamorphic effect than the 1.33x lenses offered by Sirui, albeit at a much higher cost. Steve before you put your own foot in the mouth, try latest canon workhorse for professional photographers Canon EOS-1D X Mark III. The Canon RF 85mm f2 Macro IS USM isn’t perfect, but for $600, it’s close enough. It's a great lens and I love the way photos turn out. Canon's RF mirrorless lenses have been highly lauded for their impressive image quality and for pushing the limits of design. It's a niche (and pricey) product to be sure, but so far we find it to be well-designed and capable of outstanding results. @Dave OddieIt is not wise to suggest that the F-stop itself isn't one of the lens qualities. But this lens will be sitting on a 75-81mp R model sooner than later also. And there's really nothing to complain about. @fferreres:Ah, i know what you're looking for. Dustin Abbott has completed, what I think is the first in depth review of the Samyang 85mm F1.4 RF. So at F2 it would be as good but cheaper and lighter. srados, I own Canon because they have the most objectively accurate and subjectively pleasing skin colours/tone quality. Just wondering if these photos are OOC jpg or DPP or other? That may have to do with the additional torque required to move such large and heavy glass elements as found in this F1.2 lens. The build quality feels typically excellent for an L-series lens, though it’s pretty big and heavy at almost 1.2kg. It's slightly smaller compared to Canon's RF line of lenses but what I think you will gain from the Z7 is ISO 64, IBIS, and size. The new Laowa 15mm F4.5 Shift lens lets you go wide with perspective control. Well, the main difference is the new technology within the lens called the Defocus Smoothing, or DS for short. I think it's got the look you're seeking too. Depending on which system you're in and what your needs are, they might just be the compact, well-priced and impressively sharp little primes you've been looking for. It’s not bad if one lens can do that! The ergonomics looks great. Although, I do agree that there is more to a lens than just the performance on certain tests. Dimensions: (Dia x Length): 103.2 x 117.3mm Both lenses are technically the same apart from the ‘DS’ coating on the later. All these Nikkors have a bunch of spherochromatism, and therefore that dreaminess you want. But if fast is not what you need, there should be f/1.8, f/2 or f/2.8 coming which is much smaller in size and affordable. Our measurements are taken with all in-camera lens corrections disabled, so in daily shooting you're unlikely to see any aberrations at all. Canon lenses fall in price faster than your amount of money at a bank for sure, If you wanna save your money buy precious metals. Order now to ship at the end of June 2019). Oh brother.Canon ALWAYS had more neutral look (close to real life colors) to their colors unlike Sony-Nik-Pentax (same family) sensors that scream with over-saturation. If you compare the forehead between the eyes, I would say you would need to stop the new lens down to 2.8 to match the old one. • Best Canon RF lenses for EOS R and EOS RP, Full-frame compatible: Yes As a hobby I will look for bargain price of the EF mount lens and use them with adapter on the mirrorless body. There was a long steady climb to create better and better image quality. At f/1.2 you should be able to spot the usual purplish color fringing in front of the focus point and a greenish halo beyond. By the time I can get asian skin looking natural, the other hues have left the building. At least this is a practical lens to use. It’s a perfectly viable format offering great price-to-performance ratio, which I thought you were looking for. This brand new short telephoto is going to find its way into many camera bags as quickly as Canon can build them. This is a new coating on two of its elements that’s said to help smooth out the edges of out-of-focus areas, which the company claims is more necessary here given the more severe correction for chromatic aberration. Internal focus: Yes But I personally love the more vintage character of the older EF 85 including all of its weaknesses, so I will keep it. Digital Camera World is part of Future US Inc, an international media group and leading digital publisher. On the other hand to contradict myself, I did try once Nikon lens on Canon body and colors were much better. Canon announced the RF 50mm f/1.2L USM at the same time as the EOS R, its first full-frame mirrorless camera. Certain other lens got the blame alone because they couldn't complain about the balanced combination. I don't get that. Canon started boldly with RF lenses that show what they can do, but now they come up with smaller, less fast and more affordable lenses, too. Today, at its Snapdragon Tech Summit, Qualcomm revealed the details of its new Snapdragon 888 system on a chip (SoC) that, amongst performance and battery improvements, offers an array of impressive photographer features, should Android smartphone manufacturers choose to make the most of them. The Canon RF 85mm f/1.2L USM lens features a bright f/1.2 maximum aperture, a ring-type UltraSonic Motor (USM) AF system more usually found in Canon’s super telephoto lenses which delivers fast, near-silent autofocusing, 9 rounded diaphragm … What’s the best camera for less than $1000? So they (and other manufacturers) won't give you the choice of slower, lighter but optically equally good lenses as they want to sell these expensive lenses. Planning to treat yourself to a new full-frame camera this holiday season? Longitudinal chromatic aberration (LoCA), typically seen as purple and green fringing in front of and behind the focal plane, respectively, is further controlled through the use of a Blue Spectrum Refractive (BR) element, something we first saw three years ago inside the EF 35mm F1.4L II USM. The centre sharpness of this lens is excellent, but our lab tests did reveal its Achilles heel – edge sharpness. Full stop. Thanks for sharing. "Canon colours not as good as they used to be imo, but havnt done H2H with a newer Fuji to compare recently either.". AF is very fast as well! Such super fast lenses are really complex, so Canon would not be able to produce it for a few hundred bucks. And that Canon color! And Raw files are available for download in the gallery. lélé, I didn't know this lens. It's a tad large on the the EOS R, but offers jaw-dropping performance. To find out, we enlisted the help of a pro Canon portrait photographer Dan Pearce, who has owned and used both of those DSLR lenses. Best gear of 2019 - winners and runners-up, 12 Days of Belvedere: A look back at puppyhood through sample photos, Canon RF 85mm F1.2L USM sample gallery updated, Sigma 65mm F2 DG DN Sample Gallery (DPReview TV), Sigma 35mm F2 DG DN Sample Gallery (DPReview TV), Laowa 15mm F4.5 Zero-D Shift lens sample gallery (DPReview TV), Review: The DJI Pocket 2 is a vlogging machine you can take anywhere (even in your pocket), Review: the DJI Mavic Mini 2 is the perfect drone for beginners, Field review: The Olympus M.Zuiko 12-100mm F4 IS Pro goes to Oz, CIPA's October report shows camera market has mostly recovered from its COVID-19 downturn, Apple releases Pro Display XDR Calibrator for its $5,000-plus monitor, Slideshow: People's Choice Award finalists for Wildlife Photographer of the Year, Sigma 65mm F2 DG DN sample gallery (DPReview TV), Qualcomm unveils new Snapdragon 888 SoC with 3 ISPs capable of 8K video, 120fps still shooting, 960fps slo-mo and more, The Bronine Volkit can charge four different battery models at the same time, (Select) Android smartphones now work with Profoto's professional lights via Profoto Camera app beta, Sony's new Visual Story iOS app is designed for wedding and event photographers, Yongnuo has patented a modular camera system aiming to best smartphone cameras, Hands-on with new Sigma 35mm and 65mm F2 DG DN lenses, DPReview TV: Sigma 35mm F2 DG DN and 65mm F2 DG DN review, Sigma 35mm F2 DG DN sample gallery (DPReview TV), Sigma introduces 24mm F3.5, 35mm F2 and 65mm F2 lenses for E and L mounts, Vazen announces the 65mm T2 1.8x anamorphic lens for MFT camera systems, rounding out the 3 lens lineup, Meyer Optik Görlitz releases redesigned Primoplan 75mm F1.9 II lens for a handful of mounts, Canon confirms August ransomware attack, notes past and current employees affected, Video: The 'surprising' origin story of Kodak Aerochrome film, Gear of the Year: Barney's choice (part 2) - Reflex-Nikkor 1000mm F11, DPReview TV: Best enthusiast full-frame mirrorless camera, Treat yourself 2020: The ultimate photographers' gift guide, iPhone mount converts an Apple Watch into a live viewfinder for selfies and vlogging, Gear of the Year: Richard's choice - Canon RF 800mm F11 IS STM, DPReview TV lens review: Shift your perspective with the Laowa 15mm F4.5 shift lens, MIOPS launches Kickstarter campaign for Flex, its featured-packed smart camera gadget, Fujifilm adds a 400MP capture mode to its GFX 100 camera with 3.00 firmware update.